|Number of Homes:
|Number Sold in 2010:
|Median Price in 2010:
Corte Madera Real Estate
Ideal Location for Families, Commuters, Lovers of the Outdoors
Corte Madera is located in the heart of Marin County, stretching from bayside to the ridge-tops of Mt. Tamalpais. Corte Madera in Spanish translates to "cut wood" and Corte Madera, like other towns in Marin, supplied redwood lumber to build San Francisco homes.
West Corte Madera Real Estate
As you enter west Corte Madera, you'll find older, ranch-style homes--many on beautiful lagoons that are fed from Mt. Tamalpais and the Bay via the Corte Madera Creek. A little farther west is a neighborhood of California cottages, Victorian homes, and hillside homes with views of the Bay.
The Old Town Square (Menke Park), where Madeline Schaider Real Estate
is located, sits at the foot of Christmas Tree Hill. The square is built at the site of the former Corte Madera train station. A few of the historic buildings surrounding the square are the 19th
century hotel and horse barn.
On the west side of the square is Christmas Tree Hill with narrow winding streets and diverse and interesting homes with bay views. At the top of the hill, trails lead hikers to the open expanse of Mt. Tamalpais or down to Mill Valley, Larkspur, and Kentfield.
Bayside Corte Madera Real Estate
Bayside (east) Corte Madera enjoys protected marshlands, the Ring Mountain Nature Preserve
, and proximity to the Tiburon peninsula. Most homes in east Corte Madera were built from the 1950’s through the 1980’s. Many homebuyers appreciate the easy lifestyle in these neighborhoods and have upgraded or rebuilt the houses. Madeline lives in East Corte Madera and has become the number-one real estate expert in this area.
Like most of Marin, bayside Corte Madera has a mixture of level land and hills. Dividing Corte Madera from Tiburon
is Ring Mountain with its protected Nature Preserve. On the edges of Ring Mountain are many curving, climbing streets with nautical names and often spectacular views of the Bay, the Easy Bay cities, and Mt. Tamalpais.
Corte Madera is proud of its great schools
, shared with its Twin City of Larkspur.
Meadowcreek Station and Madera del Presidio
Bayside Corte Madera boasts two housing developments built in the past fifteen years, Meadowcreek Station and Madera del Presidio
. These provide a wide diversity of about 300 single-family homes, town houses, and condos in a beautiful setting at the edge of Ring Mountain.
Corte Madera Community Information
Corte Madera Shops and Restaurants
For shopping and eating, this shopping mall on the west side of Highway 101 boasts a wonderful mix of local businesses:
- A. G. Ferrari is a real Italian deli with a staff that knows about Italian food and wine. (415) 927-4347
- California Pizza Kitchen is a popular, busy, and noisy place. Good place to take the family. Their thin crust pizza is great for take out, especially if you ask them to slightly over-bake it. (415) 945-0401.
- Columbine provides a classy collection of home accessories, including bed linens, dinnerware, glassware, candles, and more. (415) 927-8884
- Featherbed & Bath is the finest bed and bath shop in Marin. They have great linens, towels, and accessories. (415) 924-2244
- Il Fornaio is a well-appointed Italian Restaurant with a great bar and excellent breads and pastries that you can take home. Part of a small restaurant chain, it was initially known as a pioneer in baking Italian breads. Good salads and pastas. Wonderful for Sunday Brunch! You can expect a charming atmosphere and pleasant experience. 415-927-4400
- Lewis Thomas Men’s Wear is a traditional, family-run men’s store that has been around for a long time. Good quality and selection from casual to formal. If you want great socks, see their collection from Italy. Madeline shops here for Christmas presents! 415-924-1715
- Meadowlark Gallery has beautiful jewelry and decorative home items made by outstanding craftsmen. Great finds for one-of-a-kind gifts. 866-924-2210
- Pacific Catch has good, honest, and fairly priced seafood with an Asian-American theme. Great sweet potato fries. 415-927-FISH (3474)
- REI is the famous sporting goods store for hikers, skiers, campers, cyclists, and all environmentally conscious outdoors people. First class. 415-927-1938
- Sur La Table is a well stocked, mega-gourmet and cookware store. (415) 945-0112
Madeline’s Nighbors on the Town Square
Eat My Kookies, two doors away from Madeline Schaider Real Estate, has wonderful cookies and muffins, baked fresh every day. (415) 924-7750.
Ricks Wine Cellar
is the best wine bar in Marin with daily wine tasting, snacks and awesome sandwiches to go with your wine, and wine sales. The wines are carefully selected from choice, small wineries in California. The atmosphere is extra friendly, thanks to the owners Rich and Candy and their staff. This place can become a good habit. (415) 927-9466
is well known all through Marin for very good, thin crust pizza. A classic. (415) 924-9666.
also across the square, serves very good Italian food in a friendly, upscale neighborhood venue. (415) 927-2316
Corte Madera Café
, on the square across from Madeline Schaider Real Estate
, serves the best traditional American breakfast and lunch food. (415) 945-8902
More Good Places in Corte Madera
- Book Passage Bookstore is a real neighborhood bookstore with discriminating taste, a large selection of good books, and a constant program of lectures by authors, some famous or about to be famous (including previous Presidents), and classes. Enjoy the classic bookstore café for coffee, wine, lunch, and sweets. On Tamal Vista Blvd, next to the Century Cinema movie theater. (415) 927-1503.
- Home Consignment Center at the Paradise Drive exit from Highway 101 has an large selection of used furniture and rugs, plus David Hurley’s new and used jewelry. If you don’t find it there today, look again tomorrow. (415) 924-6691
- Marin Joe’s Restaurant is a classic 1950’s Joe’s with plastic upholstery, a piano, bar, old-time waiters, and constant crowds. Great for grill meats and fish. It’s fun to sit at the counter and watch the cooking. On the freeway frontage road, just south of the Tamalpais Drive exit from the freeway. (415) 924-2081
- Paradise Foods on Paradise Drive is a fine, high-end grocery store with a great take-out deli. Open every day from 8 am till 9 pm.
- Peets Coffee and Tea is on the top of our list for coffee and tea lovers. They originated the concept of gourmet coffee shops and are still excellent and innovative. Caution for out-of-area coffee drinkers: they make strong coffee. There are two locations in Corte Madera, one at the Tamalpais Dr. exit from Highway 101, the other in the Village at Corte Madera center. (415) 927-3387
- Sea Thai Bistro, a block north of the Town Square and Madeline Schaider Real Estate, serves beautiful and innovative Thai food in a fine atmosphere. Highly recommended. (415) 927-8333
- Tamalpais Paint on Paradise Drive in bayside Corte Madera carries the best products and provides excellent service. There is no sense in going anywhere else to save a few dollars on a can of paint. They also have a great wallpaper department. (415) 924-7321
- Village at Corte Madera, on the bayside (west) of the freeway provides a large number of standard shopping mall stores such as the Gap, Macy's and Nordstrom's department stores and Williams-Sonoma (for kitchen and dining ware). This is a major shopping destination for all of Marin. Check their web site for a complete list of stores.
Health Clubs in Corte Madera
Corte Madera is the home of three outstanding heath clubs and gyms:
- Bay Club Marin is a classy, full-featured fitness club and spa. Madeline loves it for swimming, workouts, and volleyball. It’s a good place to relax and to meet people. (415) 945-3000
- Five Points Fitness in east Corte Madera, in the Paradise Shopping Center, is a place for serious exercise, with a staggering array of machinery and weights, plus many classes. (415) 927-9494
- Gold's Gym at the Lucky Drive exit from Highway 101 is the site of the former Corte Madera skating rink. It is a good, down-to-earth exercise club with a large following. (415) 924-4653
Hotels in Corte Madera
- Corte Madera Inn, a comfortable Best Western Inn next door to the Village Shopping Center. Good swimming pool. (415) 024-5419.
- Marin Suites Hotel An extended stay hotel with kitchens in each suite. Next to the Century Cinema movie theater. (415) 924-3608