Magnificent Modern Home at 20 Westgate Drive, San Rafael, CA
20 Westgate Drive in Upper Lucas Valley
Our buyers just purchased this dramatic and unique home in Upper Lucas Valley, next to breathtaking rolling hills, protected open space, and George Lucas’ Skywalker Ranch. Madeline Schaider represented the buyers.
The building was designed and constructed by Sonoma architect and artist James Shay in 1994 on an acre of land. The house has three sections:
- Three attached modules about 25 feet high with curved roofs. These modules open to the grass- and tree-covered hills to the north. The middle module was originally an open breezeway. This module was enclosed and converted to a kitchen and dining area during a major reconfiguration of the interior by the second owner. The end modules provide two large living areas, a circular open loft, and an upstairs bedroom suite with a large deck.
- A linear wing contains the main entrance, a primary bedroom suite, a second bedroom suite, large living spaces, and a double garage.
- A small detached circular building with two levels that can have many functions; for example, an office or exercise room.
Video provided by listing agents Shana-Rhode Lynch of Sotheby’s Realty and Patricia A. Lawton 0f Compass.
- Walls of glass in the kitchen and dining module and the primary bedroom that open to decks and the view.
- Large, oversized, high-end windows and doors.
- Access to the outside from most rooms.
- Many large view decks.
- A south-facing swimming pool.
- Metal roofs and metal-clad parapets.
- Opens to the 1,271- acre Lucas Valley Preserve.
- Next to a tree-lined valley and seasonal stream.
The Beauty of Lucas Valley
The rolling hills of Lucas Valley provide spectacular beauty and serenity unmatched in any other part of Marin. These photos illustrate the special setting of 20 Westgate Dr.
Lucas Valley is known for its many sought-after Eichler homes. Please visit our Lucas Valley page to lean more about this area.
City: San Rafael
Square Feet: 5,175
Garage: 2-car attached
Year Built: 1994