Marin County is Paradise
Here are the reasons you’ll want to live in Marin County, CA:
1. Proximity to a world-class destination: San Francisco. A beautiful city with superb museums, entertainment, and restaurants. From Central Marin, the drive takes about 20 minutes. You can also take a spectacular ferry boat ride from Larkspur, Tiburon, and Sausalito, or a comfortable bus ride on Golden Gate Transit buses. You will find it easy to visit SF many times a week!
2. Unlimited Outdoor Recreation. Over 80% of Marin is dedicated to open space, with a lifetime of hiking, biking, and lounging in nature. Enjoy redwood, madrone, and oak forests, waterfalls, magnificent vistas, wildflowers, beaches, fishing, boating, and more .
3. Minutes to the Wine Country. From Central Marin a leisurely drive of 35 minutes takes you to the Sonoma Town Square. Another 30 minutes or so, you will be in Healdsburg and the Alexander Valley or Yountville, Saint Helena, Napa and Calistoga. If you tire of visiting the hundreds of excellent small wineries, you can relax in the natural hot springs of The Sonoma Mission Inn or the many spa resorts in Calistoga. It is always beautiful in the Sonoma and Napa Valleys, winter through autumn.
4. The Wild Beauty of West Marin and Point Reyes National Seashore. From Fairfax to the ocean and the Sonoma coast, you can discover the rural beauty of Marin as it has always been. Once you cross Mount Tamalpais, the land rolls toward the Tomales Bay and the Pacific Ocean, capturing oak and redwood forests, dramatic grassy hills, pastureland, and magnificent coastline. We hope you’ll find this treasure soon.
We didn’t forget the GGNRA (Golden gate National Recreation Area), the breathtaking views of San Francisco and the Golden gate Bridge across the Bay, the charm of Sausalito or San Anselmo, or the Alpine lakes and waterfalls. There is more! We invite you to discover these.
5. Clean Air. The Bay Area is highly populated, but the air in Marin is the best because of its coastal location and geographic features. Winds and summertime fogs coming from the ocean wash the air clean. Because of the protection by Mount Tamalpais, most of Marin is free from the direct effects of the fog.
6. Great Weather. Here in Marin we only have three seasons—good, better and the best! It is mild here year round, so you can enjoy the great outdoors any time in comfort. In general, we have beautiful weather from April through October. In October, November, and December, we may have light rains and lower temperatures (but rarely close to freezing). Even on the coldest days, the afternoons can be sunny and warm. The heaviest rains are usually in January and February. But while we are having our “winter,” narcissus are blooming, and by mid-February springtime is in full bloom. During the summer in some parts of Marin the fog rolls in from the ocean—usually morning and late afternoon. Because of the protection by Mount Tamalpais, most of Marin is free of the fog. However, the summer fog brings cool nights, perfect for sleeping after warm days.
7. Outstanding Schools. See more about Marin’s fine public and private schools at Livinginmarin.com.
8. Excellent Water. Most of our water is from rain captured in protected lakes on Mt. Tamalpais. The rest comes a short distance from the Russian River in Southern Sonoma County. The water is fresh, light, and free of contaminants. It is close in taste to mountain spring water.
9. Art and Music. Since the 1950’s and 60’s, Marin has been the home and haunt of many fine artists and musicians. An art colonies are centered in the Marinship area of Sausalito, the villages of West Marin, and, more recently, in the Hamilton center of Novato. Fine music venues are proliferating in Mill Valley (the Sweetwater Music Hall, 142 Throckmorton Theater), Fairfax (The Sleeping Lady Cafe), and San Rafael (Terrapin Crossroads, George’s Nightclub). The Marin Center, at the Frank Lloyd Wright designed Marin Civic Auditorium, presents music and dance from around the world. The Marin Symphony provides outstanding classical and popular concerts.
10. Exceptional and Convenient Health Care. Greenbrae is the center of MarinHealth and Marin General Hospital, with a second major site in southern Novato. MarinHealth is affiliated with UCSF Medical Center, together providing the latest in medical care. Also having a major presence in Marin are Kaiser Permanents in San Rafaeal and Novato and Sutter Health in Novato.