Hamilton Field is a unique community in south-east Novato, developed from the former Hamilton Air Force Base. From 1932 till 1974 this base was operated by the U. S. Army Air Corps, Air Force, and the Coast Guard. At one time the base occupied 2,184 acres. The Hamilton site is bordered by Highway 101 on the west and the San Francisco Bay on the East.
Site of Former Hamilton Air Force Base Housing
Hamilton is comprised of nine neighborhoods, each a distinct planned housing development: Bayside, Hamilton Meadows, Hamilton Park, Southgate, Traditions, Inspirations, Sunny Cove, Newport, and The Landing. The first homes were available in 1999, and the latest neighborhood, The Landing, was constructed in 2012. Most of the properties are single-family homes, with a few town homes in the Traditions neighborhood. Much of the appeal of the Hamilton Field Novato community comes from the renovated Spanish-style buildings built in the early 1930’s. These serve as a community center, art center and gallery, Unity Church, Hamilton Field Museum, and much more. The proximity to the Bay provides temperate weather and wonderful light.
In addition to the homes and office buildings at Hamilton, there are 70 acres of parks and 50 acres for community facilities, including a library, gymnasium, recently renovated outdoor swimming pool, self-storage, baseball and soccer fields, basketball and tennis courts, open playing fields, a 15,000 sq. ft. skate park, and an outdoor amphitheater.
The former aircraft hangers bordering San Francisco Bay have been transformed into commercial spaces accommodating offices, high tech industries, a YMCA, and useful services, such as a dry cleaner. At the North West corner of Hamilton Field, the new Hamilton Marketplace provides a supermarket, restaurants, a bank, and more.
Current Homes for Sale
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.
Special Features of this Neighborhood
- Walk Score: 43, Car-dependent. Distance to downtown Novato, 5 miles; to Downtown San Rafael, 7 miles.
- Interesting history of Hamilton Field written by the National Park Service
- Wikipedia History of Hamilton Field
- Hamilton Wetlands Restoration Project is returning the former runways to their natural state as bayside wetlands. The Coastal Conservancy and the U.S.Army Corps of Engineers are sponsoring this enormous undertaking.
- Hamilton Swimming Pool is a knoll-top, outdoor pool and facilities.
- Novato Center for the Arts, houses over forty working artists in three buildings plus the Marin Museum of Contemporary Art, museum store, and art classrooms.
- Marin Museum of Contemporary Art has a full schedule of carefully curated exhibits featuring local artists.
- Senior Housing, at The Villas at Hamilton, was developed from Officer’s Quarters, provides studios and 1 and 2-bedroom apartments for residents 55-years and older.
- Affordable Housing at the Meadow Park at Hamilton is a 200-acre parcel and master-planned community providing 708 affordable homes at Hamilton Field. The first 351 homes are under construction.
Do You Want to Live in Hamilton Field Novato?
I would love to introduce you to Hamilton Field! If you are interested in living in Hamilton Field, you can start by searching for properties, when you are ready to learn first-hand about Hamilton Field homes, contact us. We are happy to help and share our local knowledge of all that Novato has to offer.