Convenient Living in the Rolling Hills of Central Marin
Located in the heart of Marin County, Greenbrae was developed in the 1940’s on streets that gently wind through the flat lands and hills along the eastern end of Sir Frances Drake Boulevard. Most of the town and neighboring Kentfield homes are located within unincorporated Marin County. Part of town is also located in the City of Larkspur.
The majority of real estate enjoys panoramic views of Mt. Tamalpais and the Bay, while other properties are adjacent to the Corte Madera Creek as it meets the San Francisco Bay.
Greenbrae is ideal for commuters heading in any direction:
- For those commuting to the East Bay, the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge is minutes away.
- If traveling to San Francisco, you have several options: head south the the Golden Gate Bridge on Highway 101, hop aboard the Golden Gate Larkspur Ferry or relax in a seat on a Golden Gate Transit bus.
- When heading north to Wine Country or Santa Rosa, Highway 101 is moments away.
Central to town is the Bon Air Center near Hwy 101, offering a large number of unique shops and restaurants. Marin County Mart, to the east on Sir Frances Drake Blvd., also provides a wide variety of boutique shops and restaurants. Every Saturday from 9 am to 2 pm, you can visit a farmers’ market and an interesting variety of food trucks.
Another bonus is proximity to the publicly-owned MarinHealth Medical Center which offers a wide variety of services, including a Level III Trauma unit, neonatal intensive care, pediatrics, a family birth center, adult psychiatric units, and cardiac cauterization and electrocardiography laboratories. Many complementary medical offices are conveniently located within blocks of the hospital.
Greenbrae Real Estate
About half the approximately 13,400 residents of Greenbrae live in single family homes, and half in apartments, condos, and town houses. Greenbrae provides a mix of some 5,600 housing units in these distinct neighborhoods:
- Greenbrae hills. Streets with Spanish names to the north of Sir Frances Drake Blvd wind to the top of a ridge that separates Greenbrae from San Rafael. These homes were built starting in 1946. A small number are on level lots and the majority are on hillside lots, many with views of the bay or Mt. Tamalpais.
- Level streets along Sir Frances Drake Blvd.
- Greenbrae condos on the hill. The ridge to the west of the Bon Air Shopping Center has a large number of condominium complexes, large and small, and apartments.
- Greenbrae condos on the creek. At the south edge of Greenbrae, on South Eliseo Dr., a number of condominium complexes border the Corte Madera Creek.
- Greenbrae Boardwalk. Historically belonging to Greenbrae, but not officially part of Greenbrae, a string of single family homes sit on the marsh where the Corte Madera Creek meets the bay. A wooden boardwalk provides access to these homes, many originated as “arcs” or floating homes for summertime visitors to Marin at the turn of the 19th century.
Least Expensive Homes
Most Expensive Homes
Living in Greenbrae
- City of Larkspur
- County of Marin Community Development Agency
- MarinHealth Medical Center, located in Greenbrae
- Greenbrae Community News
- Ross Valley Reporter for local News
- History of Greenbrae
Hiking & Biking
Greenbrae is located in proximity to Marin’s best hiking an biking trails. Some of our favorites hikes include the nearby Baltimore Canyon, Lake Lagunitas, King Mountain, and Phoenix Lake. A few of the best websites for information include: